Thursday, June 16, 2011

The world I want.

I don't think my perfect world is too much to ask. It doesn't revolve around me, it doesn't set me up to be in a position of power or anything vain like that. It's a simple world.

I want a world where people aren't needlessly afraid or hateful. I want a world where a black man and a white woman can walk hand in hand down the street, and the only thing is said about them is "don't they look cute." I want a world where I can run around in my own yard at night with a flashlight without my neighbors shooting at me.

I want a world where if my child gets hurt or sick the first thing that jumps into my mind is the safety of the child, not the checkbook.

I want a world where I can be open to my family about being bisexual. I want a world where the news stations actually care about being fair and unbiased, instead of shamelessly trying to control the public opinion.

I want to turn on the television and see the President addressing the nation wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans from Walmart, instead of wearing a $6,000 suit every day of the week.

I want a world where Bradley Manning is celebrated as a hero instead of being tortured for serving his country rather than his government.

I want a world where the average person can retire at 50 if they want to.

I want a world where the bottom line is not the bottom line. I want a world where people care about other people's rights. I want a world that is what it is supposed be.

America is not that world. I am not free here. Not the kind of freedom that people think of anyway. No, I am free to work until I die. I am free to live in fear. I am free to serve the rich, and I am free to keep my mouth shut and enjoy it. Lest they take that freedom away.

The next time you say the pledge of allegiance, think about what you're really pledging.

No comments:

Post a Comment